Date:      Thu, 17 Apr 1997 20:31:07 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jim Bryant <jbryant@argus>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: optical drives

In reply:
> As Mark Tinguely wrote:
>
> > notice his optical responses as a type 0 device, the drive I was working
> > with responds as a type 7 SCSI device:
>
> Except for some very old drives (like my SONY SMO), this is often
> jumper/DIP switch selectable.  Type 7 is the intention per the SCSI
> specs, but they offer the compat switch so you can pretend a fixed
> disk for silly operating systems.
>
> --
> cheers, J"org

actually, i've found that there are a lot of broken os's...

the most compatable way of doing it is to jumper for type 0...

also, od0 was still highly alpha when i finally got this thing working
under FreeBSD a couple of years ago, and i ain't yet bothered to
change drivers yet...

if it ain't broke, then don't fix it...

btw: take note of the 128M disktab i put in my last posting on this
topic...  it might go nicely in the /etc/disktab next to mo230 for the
dist...  i had to buy a 128M disk once when the store was out of 230s,
and added that one to disktab recently...  it seems to work, as i
moved my IEN/RFC collection to it to free up space on a 230M...

on the subject of removable scsi disks, but slightly off topic:

has anyone done a side by side comparison of SyJet [1.5G] and Jazz
[1G] using bonnie or iozone using ahc?  given that they are the same
price here [$399 internal, $120-129/cart], i'm leaning towards the
SyJet...  i've also heard that the flap/door thing on the Jazz
internal model is really flimsy too, plus the SyJet claims faster
real-life sustained throughput ["up to 7 M/S", that's as good as or
better than my 2G scsi-2 barracuda]...

jim
--
All opinions expressed are mine, if you   | "I will not be pushed, stamped,
think otherwise, then go jump into turbid | briefed, debriefed, indexed, or