Date:      25 Sep 2002 18:33:43 -0700
From:      swear@attbi.com (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.Org
Subject:   Re: how to find executable files

Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com> writes:

> Erg, I knew that!  :-/  It's just that I view the whole "u+x" scheme as
> "the easy way" and that real Unix junkies roll up their sleeves and use
> numeric perm's such as 0777 and 644 :-)

Assuming that you're also referring to the scheme's use in "chmod", note
that it can do things the numeric scheme can't do, such as going thru
a dir tree copying the "user" write bit to the "other" write bit.

> That is, it wouldn't kill the author to mention some keyword or buzzword
> such as "recurse" or "subdirectories..."  Am I alone on this?

Well, I think most people try not to bother others with such doc
problems outside of the Problem Report mechanism, where they won't be
immediately forgotten and have some hope of being of benefit to FreeBSD.
If you don't file a PR, the problem is unlikely to get fixed, leaving
the problem for more people to encounter.  And often, with docs, the
person who thinks there is a problem is in the best position to propose
a fix.  Of course, if your fix proposal leaves hard work for others to
do, it's also unlikely to be fixed, so you have to use judgement, but
there are some people, like Giorgos, who spend some of their time on
such work to improve FreeBSD.