Date:      Tue, 28 Apr 1998 00:41:38 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Lanny Baron <beef@cybertouch.org>
To:        "John S. Dyson" <dyson@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Printing (can't get it right)

On Mon, 27 Apr 1998, John S. Dyson wrote:

> Lanny Baron said:
> >    Hi,
> >
> >     I am wondering if anyone else here  besides Mr. Lehey (hi Greg) has
> > been able to get a printer such as a Canon BJC-4100 to print, legibly. I
> > have tried with ghostscript (can't figure that either), with postscript
> > (ditto) and have now pulled about 320 hairs out of my head.
> >
> I am using an HP890 deskjet just fine.  I am using the alternative
> HP890 driver, with absolutely no suprises.  I wonder what is wrong?
> I have never used a Canon printer, so I don't know if there might
> be a driver selection problem of some kind?  Is the printer in
> a wierd, non-volatile mode of some sort?  Did you print with another
> OS, prior to trying to use it on FreeBSD?
>
> --
> John                  | Never try to teach a pig to sing,
> dyson@freebsd.org     | it just makes you look stupid,
> jdyson@nc.com         | and it irritates the pig.

   Hello John,

 To answer your question as to whether or not I have used the printer with
another OS. Yes. With NT and 95. Using or trying to use the printer with
FreeBSD, only prints a a few words,
                                    then a few more words,
                                                         then a few more.

 If you get the picture. One problem for sure is I don't know if the
printer is ghostscript or postscript (or even what those are :-(. I don't
blame FreeBSD (the OS or the marvelous minds attached to FreeBSD), I blame
myself for the lack of understanding Unix.

 At least the printer does print. Which says that I have the right com.
And forget about asking Canon. They have no idea. So I am kinda stuck. I
would love to be able to print from here.

 Well, thanks for your response John. Hopefully someone has a similar
printer and knows where I am going wrong.

 Regards,

 Lanny