Date:      Wed, 17 Nov 2004 09:37:22 -0600
From:      Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
To:        "Gautherot, Olivier" <olivier_gautherot@mentorg.com>
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VIA processors?

Gautherot, Olivier wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I just had a quick look at the release notes for 5.3 and did not see the
> VIA processors in the supported list.
> Is it on purpose or did you forget about them? They come from Cyrix so
> they should be listed, I think...

Yes, they are supported.  No changes needed to any of the FreeBSD
versions.  The VIA processors are fully x86 compatible, and are
considered 'drop in' replacements for Intel's equivalent parts.

Cyrix is long gone, VIA is the parent company that sells them - Centaur
Technology (the company I work for) designs them.

It probably should be added to the list though. :)

Eric

Eric Anderson     Sr. Systems Administrator    Centaur Technology
Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.