Date:      Tue, 4 Nov 2003 10:57:16 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [4.9-RC] What happened to ``options HTT'' ?

Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net> wrote:
 > On Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 11:42:57PM +0200, Jaco van Tonder wrote:
 > > I just cvsup'ed to that latest -STABLE and saw that option HTT is no longer
 > > availible in LINT. Does anyone know why this is no longer supported? I
 > > searched the stable@ list but cant seem to find anything on this.
 >
 > It is no longer necessicary as HTT logical CPUs are now activated by
 > default.  If you wish to use them, set the sysctl
 > machdep.hlt_logical_cpus to 0.

Can that sysctl be changed at runtime, or is it only possible
to do it in the loader?  The UPDATING entry isn't completely
clear about that.

By the way, are there any "real world" experiences whether
it's worth it to use the logical CPUs, say, on a PostgreSQL
or Apache server, or with Java stuff (jakarta/tomcat etc.)?

Regards
   Oliver

"C++ is the only current language making COBOL look good."
        -- Bertrand Meyer