Date:      Wed, 21 Dec 2005 22:20:17 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Loren M. Lang" <lorenl@alzatex.com>
Cc:        Yance Kowara <yance_kowara@yahoo.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD router two DSL connections

If you have read this thread you will have already seen that you cannot
get increased throughput this way.

As I asked before, explain how a DSL line to SpiritOne running at
1MBit/sec
and a Comcast cable connection running at 1MBit/sec will allow you to
download the FreeBSD release iso file at 2MBit/sec.  This will be
interesting.

If you can't do it, which I will tell you that you can't, you have not
increased throughput.

And as for redundancy, I already explained that while this setup
increases redundancy, the redundancy must be manually done -
monitored by a human, and switched over when needed - or it will
not react to the most common redundancy problems.

> The primary problem is that you
>need to make sure outgoing data for a connection is using the same line
>as the incoming connection.

No, not at all.  The primary problem is that the incoming data that is
line that the outgoing connection used.

>If the majority to all connections are
>outgoing and both lines use NAT and have unique IP addresses, it's
>simpler to setup.
>If you have incoming connections as well, either only
>one of the two lines will be used or you'll need BGP

Explain how to run BGP with a DSL line to Spirit One and a cable
line to Comcast.

>or some kind of
>static route setup by the two ISPs.

Rubbish.  Explain how this would work.  It won't.

>I have done this with a Linux router and using Comcast Cable and
>SpiritOne DSL.  We had all incoming connections use DSL and outgoing
>connections use either line.

You used the dual-NAT package that was detailed earlier which is the
only one that can do that - is specific to Linux - and as I explained
before,
also will not permit you to take a 1MB DSL line from one provider and
a 1MB cable line from the cable company and download a freebsd iso at
2MB.  Thus it is not load-balancing because it does not actually use both
lines for a connection.

> We balanced them by internal IP addresses,

You did not balance them, you had some of the inside IP numbers use one
line, and others use the other line.  This isn't load balancing.

>but there might be more sophisticated methods.  I do not know what
>support FreeBSD has for this kind of routing though.  At the very
>minimum, you could get redundancy for outgoing connections by switching
>the route to use the other line when the first one fails.

Which is not redundant.

Considering the OP asked for specifics on how to do this and your
response
as been a bunch of theoretical gobbdleygook that is flat out wrong
network
theory, you haven't done anything to help the poor bastard.

Ted