Date:      Mon, 03 Jul 2000 17:49:56 +1000
From:      Stephen McKay <mckay@thehub.com.au>
To:        Alan Edmonds <aedmonds@digitalconvergence.com>
Cc:        mckay@thehub.com.au, Bill Paul <wpaul@FreeBSD.ORG>, Chris Wasser <cwasser@v-wave.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Strangeness with 4.0-S

Alan Edmonds wrote:
>Bill Paul wrote:
>> (I'm starting to regret putting them in there in the first place. Here
>> I was thinking I was being nice to people by letting them know what the
>> driver is doing, and everybody panics the moment they see them.)
>
>Maybe prefix the warning with "info" or "warning" and/or some
>message like "Don't panic!"  Also, would it help to see
>"increasing TX threshold to %d"  in the message?

I appreciate Bill's intent here to inform the public, and I usually code
the same way.  But I've come to the conclusion that it just scares people,
and isn't beneficial after the shake out in -current.

Still, I have an alternative suggestion to just ripping out the messages.
I believe the most useful option would be to make the default to always
store and forward, and allow an option (config file option, or some ifconfig
command, sysctl, or some such) to enable the start-before-you've-got-the-data
method.

I don't think any normal user would see the speed difference.  No one would
see those messages soon after every boot.  And best of all, we wouldn't see
the connection hang for several seconds each time that message rolled by.
It annoyed me so much I hacked my copy to not do any fancy stuff, and just
go store and forward.  I still get 10MB/s ftp between boxes.

I think it's a clear winner.

Stephen.