Date:      Thu, 04 Jan 2001 09:58:44 +1100
From:      Kal Torak <kaltorak@quake.com.au>
To:        James Wyatt <jwyatt@rwsystems.net>
Cc:        Jim King <jim@jimking.net>, Adam Kujawski <adamkuj@gatordog.com>, Mike <mike@mikesweb.com>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2 cisco's and a fbsd box running bgp

> I had seen the Adaptec board a few places, but it's expensive and I am
> sick of Adaptec lately. I saw *way* too much gained by switching from 2940
> and 3940UWs to the TekRam NEC-chip boards under FreeBSD and Linux, so I
> don't trust them to be the best brand as much in SCSI, let alone EtherNet
> boards. I also really like the DLink/NetGear/LinkSys DEC-chip boards we've
> used; they have all been reliable, fast, supported, "simple", and very
> cost-effective. - Jy@

I agree with you, but I would also have to say the Adaptec Quad ethernet
card is probably the best on the market atm...
Its 64-bit, the others I have seen are all 32... I doubt the others can
achieve as much through put on 4 ports as the Adaptec, but it is almost 5
times more expensive...

In the end it comes down to 5 times cost over maybe 2 times the speed and
only during high usage..
Kal.