Date:      Tue, 2 May 2000 13:05:19 +0200
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
Subject:   db 1.85 --> 2.x or 3.x?

Folks,

	A thread on news.software.nntp got me checking into this, and now
I've gotten very curious.  From what I can determine, it looks like
what is integrated into FreeBSD is Berkeley db 1.85 (in
/usr/src/libc/db), although there is a port for 2.7.7 in
/usr/ports/databases/db.

	Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that db 1.85 is
pretty widely known to be broken in a number of ways (see
<http://www.sleepycat.com/historic.html>), and I'm wondering what it
would take to get this updated to at least 2.x, if not make the jump
all the way to 3.x (currently at 3.0.55, according to
<http://www.sleepycat.com/download.html>)?

	On a related issue, as another Berkeley alumni, how easy would it
be for Keith to get committer access to FreeBSD, assuming he wanted
it (and doesn't have it already ;-)?

	Out of curiosity, is there a public list of all the people who
have commit access to FreeBSD?

	Thanks!