Date:      Sat, 8 Mar 2003 13:40:38 -0500
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>
To:        Luis Neves <lneves@netcabo.pt>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I'm curious :-)

Luis Neves wrote:
> What is this "Interactivity" problem that Linus is complaining about?
> I never experienced anything similar with my FreeBSD box :-)
>
> Just for kicks I tried to listen to some mp3 , compile /sysutils/cdbakeoven,
> burn a cd, watch the new Animatrix episode and drag around a xterm window
> (Unfortunately I can't take a screenshot of me dragging the window):

It depends on how much CPU power and RAM you have, and how much your
processes are consuming.

At moderate levels of memory usage and disk I/O, linux is indeed more
"interactive": you get (or, at least, I get) skips in audio, frame
drops with mplayer, etc, much more under FreeBSD (either 4.x or 5.0)
than under Linux.  The "jerkiness" of window movements is especially
common under freebsd: when the system is busy, it seems to take a
while for X to respond to mouse clicks, etc.

At high loads, however, linux becomes practically unusable.  (I
haven't tried the 2.5 kernel or recent 2.4 kernels).  FreeBSD, even
when heavily stressed, locks up for a few seconds, swaps a bit,
possibly kills the offending process, and then proceeds as normal.
Linux often requires a reboot.

- Rahul