Date:      Sat, 30 Nov 1996 16:42:30 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Subject:   Re: BSD curses vs. ncurses?

As Michael Smith wrote:

> Will I find the BSD curses difficult to work with?  Would other
> programmers working on the code lampoon me for using it?

Despite of a few minor annoyances on the output side (like the stupid
semantics of the box() function that doesn't allow you to use line
graphics characters), the biggest difference between both is that SysV
curses alias ncurses does ``input symbol cooking'' for you, while BSD
curses doesn't.  Hence, you can ask for something like ``the page up
key'', or ``function key #5'' in SysV curses.  If you don't need this,
you might often even be able to substitute one for another.

--
cheers, J"org