Date:      Mon, 18 May 1998 18:34:44 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Open Systems Networking <opsys@mail.webspan.net>
To:        Atipa <freebsd@atipa.com>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why we should support Microsoft...

On Mon, 18 May 1998, Atipa wrote:

> <Puts on flame-retardant asbestos suit>

Good Idea :)

> I know I am going out on a limbe here, but I do not think the Justice
> Department should make any decisions on the software industry, and I think
> Microsoft should be allowed to ship whatever the hell it wants.

Agreed

> We are told that this is a free, capitalistic country, but now they want
> to say it is just sort-of capitalistic? That you can make all the money
> you want, until you make too much? What kind of crap is that?

The difference here is the way as I understand it the anti trust laws
work. Making money is fine and dandy and as bill gates can attest in
america you CAN make more money then GOD himself.
His ability to make money is not what the DOJ is trying to prevent.
In the anti trust laws, a monopoly is forced to carry a competitors
product when its deemed they have a monopoly, or something like that.
For instance if for example shell oil had the only fleet in the world of
oil tankers, they would be forced to carry texaco oil or another
competitors oil at cheaper then they carry their own. It goes something
like that anyway.

> I belive in economic Darwinism; that is to say, good products flourish and
> poor products wilt away. The consumer ultimately decides what sells and
> what doesn't, and not the providers. If Win98 stinks, I hope it dies and
> forces MS to make better products. But who am I to say what they should or
> should not try to do?

The problem as I see it is a waste of all these law suits time. the only
way to get MS to play nice and eventually be destroyed by superior
products like FreeBSD is to OPEN THE FREAKIN PC MAKERS TO CARRY MORE THAN
MS!!! The fact that you CANNOT get ANYTHING but MS installed on a pc you
order from dell, compaw, etc.. is the problem. That is the problem.
Granted its unfair that MS bundle IE with windows and thereby gain an
automatic 90% market share for ie by bundling it with windows which is 90%
of the market. BUT even though that is unfair, if you open the pc makers
to selling more OS's preinstalled then just windows THAT will solve all
these unfairness issues later on. IMO the only way to really solve this is
to cut the problem off at the source. Which is the pc makers. If they
didnt ship EVERY pc with windows, there wouldnt be a 90% market share,
without a 90% market share, there wouldnt be any benefit for MS to bundle
their products with their OS to gain unfair share of the market. At least
thats how I see it. I think all these AG's and the DOJ are simply smoking
crack and trying to force netscape to be bundled with windows instead of
getting at the root of the problem and going after some kind of resolve to
get PC makers to offer alternative OS's on PC's when purchased, is just
insane. It doesnt solve ANYTHING. in another 2 years it will be sun
fighting for their last breath as NT starts taking their market. MS has to
be cut off at the PC vendors pplain and simple.

> do not understand the software industry, they are setting a horrible
> precendent, and depriving the American people of free choice.
>
> They are ruining a good, competitive environment by degrading the efforts
> of the front runner, instead of promoting the laggers. We are all losing
> out.
> The issue to me is not whether or not Win98 is good or bad, the issue is
> freedom. I support Bill Gates in this issue, and hope you will as well.
> Hopefully, this product will fail all on its own, and open the doors to
> good programmers all over the world, without US ecomonic intervention.

I agree I think its a bad, stupid, poorly planned illinformed move by the
AG's and the DOJ, like I said their efforst are stupid and a waste of
time, the problem as *I* see it is the fact that MS will continute to hold
90%+ shares of the market unless pc makers offer choices of OS to be
installed on new PC's other than windows. Thats where the root of this
starts I think. It's a deadlock. You cant win. Most people buy their PC's
from dell or compaq, or HP. Ask any of them if they can install something
other than windows. Do you hear them laughing at you?
I already made this point clear to my AG. This entire thing is so retarded
its not even funny.

Chris

--
"I don't do favors, I accumulate debts"

===================================| Open Systems Networking And Consulting.
  FreeBSD 2.2.6 is available now!  | Phone: 316-326-6800
-----------------------------------| 1402 N. Washington, Wellington, KS-67152
   FreeBSD: The power to serve!    | E-Mail: opsys@open-systems.net
      http://www.freebsd.org       | Consulting-Network Engineering-Security