Date:      Fri, 11 Jun 2010 19:02:16 -0400
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu>
To:        Giorgos Tsiapaliokas <terietor@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: resize freebsd slice

On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 01:46:57AM +0300, Giorgos Tsiapaliokas wrote:

> only /home is in a diferent partition,but i don't care because i don't have
> any file in it (only .xinitrc,but this is not a prob)
>
> i give as a root the command "dump -0Lauf /mnt/hd/FBSD/ /dev/ad0s3a"
>
> but i receive the following error:
>
>   DUMP: Date of this level 0 dump: Sat Jun 12 01:39:31 2010
>   DUMP: Date of last level 0 dump: the epoch
>   DUMP: Dumping snapshot of /dev/ad0s3a (/) to /mnt/hd/FBSD/
>   DUMP: mapping (Pass I) [regular files]
>   DUMP: mapping (Pass II) [directories]
>   DUMP: estimated 6843871 tape blocks.
>   DUMP: Cannot open output "/mnt/hd/FBSD/".
>   DUMP: Do you want to retry the open?: ("yes" or "no")
>
> i tried to reopen the output but it had no effect.

Well, it looks like something is wrong with where you are
trying to write the dump.   What is mounted on /mnt/hd/FBSD?
Is anything?   Is there a filesystem built on it or is it
some serial access media such as tape (in naming convention I
have never seen).   Or is FBSD a directory?   If so, you
have to name a file within it eg:  /mnt/hd/FBSD/root.dump

I don't specifically see any problem with your dump command.
It is the media where you are writing that is causing your problem.
It hasn't had a filesystem built or mounted on it or something
like that.

By the way, you don't have to specify the /dev/name in a dump.

   dump -0Lauf /mnt/hd/FBSD /
would be sufficient and more clear to human read.

   dump -0Lauf /mnt/hd/FBSD/home.dump /home
would be good for /home

It is hard to guess beyond this what is happening.

> P.S.:ad0s3a is my root directory (/)
> s3b is /home and
> s3d is my swap space

Don't dump swap.