Date:      Thu, 3 Sep 2015 04:58:39 +0000
From:      "Pokala, Ravi" <rpokala@panasas.com>
To:        Pavel Timofeev <timp87@gmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Quick question: sc(4) vs vt(4)

-----Original Message-----
From: Pavel Timofeev <timp87@gmail.com>
Date: 2015-09-02, Wednesday at 21:46
To: Ravi Pokala <rpokala@panasas.com>
Cc: "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>

>Hi! The only problem I experienced with vt(4) is extremely slow work in
>default mode under some virtualization platforms, for example, Hyper-V.

Thanks Pavel, that's good to know. We're mostly concerned with running on
bare metal, so that won't be a concern for us.

>vt(4) can be switched to text mode to make things better though.

Yeah, one of my colleagues found the hw.vga.textmode setting. The VGA
console is a going to be a rarely-used fallback (the expected case is
using the serial console), so staying in textmode is just fine.

Thanks,

Ravi