Date:      Sun, 23 Feb 2003 14:49:52 -0600
From:      David Syphers <dsyphers@uchicago.edu>
To:        Kirk McKusick <mckusick@beastie.mckusick.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BOOT2_UFS=UFS1_ONLY works for today's current

On Sunday 23 February 2003 11:10 am, Richard Arends wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Feb 2003, David Syphers wrote:
> > I added BOOT2_UFS=UFS2_ONLY to my make.conf, and my buildworld still dies
> > in boot2. I'm trying to upgrade from a Feb. 19 -current (because it's
> > crashing all the time, and I need to enable debugging stuff). Is there a
> > fix, or would other information be helpful?
>
> Same problem over here. I reverted back the last commit on
> /usr/src/sys/ufs/ffs/fs.h in my source tree and that "fixed" the build. Of
> course, this is a workaround !!

Okay, I've verified that the problem is due to rev. 1.39 of
/usr/src/sys/ufs/ffs/fs.h. Peter Wemm pointed out that the problem is not the
commit, but gcc's bad handling of 64-bit operations. Nonetheless, this commit
does break world for a lot of people... is there some official solution? The
make.conf line only works for UFS1 - if it's set to UFS2, buildworld still
fails. (Am I correct in assuming a 5.0-R install defaults to UFS2?)

-David

--
http://www.seektruth.org

Astronomy and Astrophysics Center