Date:      Fri, 01 Sep 2006 11:07:41 +0200
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        Ivan Voras <ivoras@fer.hr>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Improvements to gvinum and it's future

Quoting Ivan Voras <ivoras@fer.hr> (from Thu, 31 Aug 2006 14:42:10 +0200):

> Ulf Lilleengen wrote:
>
>> Now, one could ask why I bother doing work on gvinum now, since we  =20
>> have gmirror,
>> gconcat, graid3 and all that. The reason is that gvinum is  =20
>> important as a volume
>> manager. Ivan Voras' work on gvirstor seems very promising as a  =20
>> foundation of a
>> new volume manager, and I've been planning to start working on  =20
>> utilities (fvm,
>> freebsd volume manager) that utilize these new geom classes instead =20
>>  of having to
>> maintain a separate RAID implementations, but that will take time,  =20
>> and meanwhile
>
> I'm not the one with power-of-decision here, but I think this would be
> very counter-productive. I'd suggest a different approach, of which I
> had plans on actually doing, but got sidetracked - to build a userland
> utility that would use existing GEOM classes in more-or-less opaque way
> to the user (meaning: users don't have to be aware of actual kernel
> classes to do the job).
>
> The idea was to build a curses terminal interface application

May I direct your eyes to our now tool "sade" in -current?

Bye,
Alexander.

--=20
If truth is beauty, how come no one has their hair done in the library?
=09=09-- Lily Tomlin

http://www.Leidinger.net    Alexander @ Leidinger.net: PGP ID =3D B0063FE7
http://www.FreeBSD.org       netchild @ FreeBSD.org  : PGP ID =3D 72077137