Date:      Wed, 1 Sep 1999 19:02:54 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill Vermillion <bill@bilver.magicnet.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sprint vs Quest

john recently said:

> This isn't exactly proprietary information, but i've seen
> people paying as much as 1500 to 2000 a month for a 128kilobit
> connection. I have gotten quotes from Sprint for T1's that were
> over 3000 a month (!). Thats *excluding* loop charges from local
> telco. The cheapest Sprint T1 i've seen was for like 1750.. again,
> excluding local loop charges.

That's a bit pricey.  I work with a niche market ISP - no dialups
at all - and they've found that you can go shopping for local
connectivity if you are in a large enough metro area.

We got a quote for local transport on a DS3 - full 45Mbit -
for just about $2K.  That's a damn cheap pipe.  Filling it does
cost more.

We try to own and have billed to us - as many pieces of our
pipeline as possibly - so we can get directly to the transport
provider without have to call the service provider and have them
call the tranport provider.

Bill
--
bv@wjv.com