Date:      Mon, 8 Jul 1996 17:31:20 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@nike.efn.org>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: CD distribution layout vs FTP distribution layout.

On Sun, 7 Jul 1996, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

[...]

> Since the dawn of time, it's seems, we've always put the various
> distribution subdirs on the CD into dists yet left them exposed on the
> FTP site.  Why?  It seems like a gratuitous difference to me, and one
> which only complicates the FTP installation procedure which currently
> has to adapt to either format (you might have a CD mounted for FTP
> access, for example).
>
> Any strenuous objections to folding these into one location in -current?
> It's already too much of a doc / general confusion hit for 2.1.5 so
> I'm going to leave things there as they are, but for 2.2...
>
> Comments?

please make them the same...  it's been hard for some of us without the
disk space to just simplely copy the cd over to the hard disk because we
don't have the space and you can't just point the ftp dist to the cd
because of the floppies and the dists being in different base
directories...  I'm in favor for merging the two...  but I think it would
help is to mirror the floppies into the dists directory for the cd... that
way you just point it into the dists directory and it will be able to find
the floppy images...  hope this helps... TTYL..

John-Mark

gurney_j@efn.org
http://resnet.uoregon.edu/~gurney_j/
Modem/FAX: (541) 683-6954   (FreeBSD Box)

Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD (unix)