Date:      04 May 1998 06:22:19 -0600
From:      misfit@xmission.com (Anthony C. Chavez)
To:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Andreessen: Linux use growing

"Kriston J. Rehberg" <kriston@ibm.net> writes:

[moderately-sized snip]

While your commentary about FreeBSD's name getting in the way of its
reputation in the OS market are true and valid, I have to say a few things on
its defense.

Let me begin by saying that I've heard this one a thousand times, and each time
it gets more and more dull.  If it's not your best friend who blurts it out at
you (thinking that he's helping in some way, when in fact he's twisting the
dagger that one of your enemies placed in your back), it's the insane,
unstable, and unreliable power structure that rules this world with an iron
fist.

Granted, a lot (and I do mean A LOT) of the free software of yesterday is quite
bluntly, crap.  But, times, they are a-changing!  The free Un*x world is in a
state of flux.  Things are constantly changing.  Newer and better ideas are
replacing old ones and things are becoming very positive.

I have been a free Un*x user (including Linux and FreeBSD) since the week after
Windows95 came out (an interesting story is attached to that---I used Win95 for
only a couple of days before installing Linux over it and haven't gone back).
I have seen the once cluttered and unattractive world of the free Un*x evolve
into something that is becoming more and more beautiful as time passes.

A good example of this metamorphosis would be to compare something like fvwm
(old and weak, but tolerable if you take the time to work with it) with
AfterStep or WindowMaker (both excellent clones of the NeXT desktop).  Both are
a bit unstable at the moment, but are definitely showing promise.  New features
are being added constantly.

Now, I said your statements were true, and I'm repeating it here.  It is true
that FreeBSD (and other free software) will get associated with cheap
imitations, the poor freeware of yesterday, etc., but I really don't think that
anyone already using FreeBSD really cares.  We already know that it is power in
its most raw form, without a lot of corporate oppression.

I hope that FreeBSD's name will NEVER change.  On a positive note, it keeps
those "in the know" in control, and the multitudes of clueless idiots (who
hide behind Micros*ft or other companies because they don't want to take the
time to really learn about computers) out of the picture.

Face it.  The best things in life are free.

--
Anthony C. Chavez <misfit@xmission.com>