Date:      Tue, 18 Mar 2003 20:28:45 -0800
From:      Octavian Hornoiu <octavian@hacknslash.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   SYSVSHM  Kernel options

I have been doing significant reading on the kernel options related to
tuning PostgreSQL and I am wondering how to best go about increasing the
paged memory available to FreeBSD.  I have read the following suggestions:

options         SYSVSHM
options         SHMMAXPGS=4096  (place total shared mem here)
options         SHMSEG=256

options         SYSVSEM
options         SEMMNI=256
options         SEMMNS=512
options         SEMMNU=256
options         SEMMAP=256

AND

/"You might also want to use the sysctl setting to lock shared memory
into RAM and prevent it from being paged out to swap, e.g.
kern.ipc.shm_use_phys"

/My question is, should i go ahead and increase the SHMMAXPGS value to
any amount of memory that i choose?  what are the consequences of doing
this on a freebsd system?  What problems might be caused and will this
degrade the rest of the system?  What is the affect of locking shared
memory into RAM using the sysctl utility?  I have never tuned the system
in this way before and I am wary of messing around.

Thanks!

octavian