Date:      Mon, 15 Feb 1999 08:44:24 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        dannyman@dannyland.org (dannyman)
Cc:        aaweber@austin.rr.com, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: We exist in M$ eyes..

> > FreeBSD is a one paragraph danger to M$
> [...]
> > Linux is the next 13 paragraphs of danger.
>
> I wonder if we have a 1:13 ratio of users or whether we are being over-counted
> or under-counted. :)
>
> But then, since accurate numbers are impossible, I think we all have little
> choice than to wonder.

I like to look at it in a more positive light:

o	Microsoft says FreeBSD is a UNIX implementation.

o	Microsoft is 1/13th as threatened by it because HotMail,
	a Microsoft company, is still using it.

On the negative side:

o	If you don't believe that Microsoft is taking the HotMail
	system apart piece by piece, from which effort they will
	be able to build a 10% better Microsoft version, then you
	are a moron.  Microsoft bought HotMail for the R&D aspect
	of having a wind-up toy that works on which to model their
	knock-off toy.  Bet that the next version of Exchange and
	IIS will be able to replace the Solaris and FreeBSD at
	HotMail; it's practically money in the bank.

o	Think of all the statistics that they will get that HotMail
	was too busy or too stupid to collect without Microsoft
	there.  Even an engineer with a near room temperature IQ
	(Fahrenheit) would have a hard time failing to utilize
	that data to advanatage in a product design or three.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.