Date:      Sun, 17 Dec 2000 00:46:59 +0100
From:      sthaug@nethelp.no
To:        leif@neland.dk, leifn@neland.dk
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Host not found, try again

> (At least) one of the domains we host, give the answer "host not found, try
> again", when asking for a non-existing host.
> Other domains we host just answer "host not found". Why the "try again"?
>
> named is:  named 8.2.3-T5B Mon Oct 16 05:01:48 CEST 2000
> Os is: FreeBSD ns 4.1.1-STABLE FreeBSD 4.1.1-STABLE #0: Fri Oct 13 17:07:01
> CEST 2000     root@ns:/usr/obj/usr/src/ sys/DK  i386
>
> The zonefile is:
>
> $TTL 28800
> ; Authoritative data for foo.com
> ;
> $ORIGIN foo.com.
> @               IN      SOA     ns.my.net. hostmaster.my.net. (

It's usually a good idea to give real data when you ask questions like
this - so that we can check for ourselves. Clearly you have not, since
the real SOA for foo.com contains:

foo.com.          IN      SOA     ns.okdirect.com. namemaster.okdirect.com. (

Anyway, the "try again" usually means the name server in question is not
authoritative for the domain, even though the delegation (from the level
above) says it should be. Thus you have a classic "lame delegation".