Date:      Mon, 27 Jan 2003 18:43:51 +0100
From:      Hanspeter Roth <hampi@rootshell.be>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.7-R-p3: j.root-servers.net

  On Jan 26 at 23:48, Marc Schneiders spoke:

> A more permanent solution is to run secondary for root. This has

Hm, this is an interesting idea.

> several advantages. One being speed. The root data will be on your
> machine and automatically refreshed every 30 minutes (only when there
> are changes, so no useless traffic) by AXFR. If there is another DDoS

But if everybody does this the root servers will probably be much
more loaded, won't they?
So it's probably only for `privileged' users?

> attack on the root-servers, you won't suffer from it, for you have the
> data yourself. And they don't change much.

If root is handled in hint mode I shouldn't suffer too much anyway?

> If you care for alternative, extra domains, you replace the IP
> numbers indicated by ORSC root-servers (that allow AXFR) and you put

What is ORSC? Is it's data identical with the one from the NET
servers? Or das it have more or different data?
Is it where the hijacks (dns-spoofs) come from?

-Hanspeter