Date:      Sun, 15 Jul 2018 20:29:44 +0000
From:      Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@pdx.rh.CN85.dnsmgr.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-current@freebsd.org" <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, "andreas.nagy@frequentis.com" <andreas.nagy@frequentis.com>
Subject:   Re: NFSv4.1 server deficiencies fixed for ESXi client

Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
>Have you any contact with VMWare so that they might fix the issues
>in thier code, rather than having to put hacks in FreeBSD for these
>issues?

Well, Jim White (who is not in their file system area) submitted a PR on th=
eir
system and the response was along the lines of:
Sorry to report the storage team punted the bug to a future release (which =
could be  indefinite).  The stated reason is that FreeBSD isn't a supported=
 NFS 4.1 server.

As such, it didn't sound too promising. However, recent tests have shown th=
at
ESXi6.7 is much better.

The packet traces I've seen sofar for the ESXi 6.7 client show none of the =
serious (and difficult to deal with without violating the RFC) problems.
It still does a ReclaimComplete with rca_one_fs =3D=3D TRUE, but it also do=
es the
required ReclaimComplete with rca_one_fs =3D=3D FALSE. Although I believe t=
he
ReclaimComplete with rca_one_fs =3D=3D TRUE is only meant to be used after =
file system has been transferred to a different server (something the FreeB=
SD
server does not do at this time), the RFC is somewhat vague on when this is=
 used,
so I think just replying NFS_OK to this without doing anything should be ac=
ceptable.
(I am going to look and see what the Linux server does for this case.)

As such, I'm hoping that there will be no need for "dirty hacks" for the ES=
Xi6.7
client and this might soon be resolved.

Thanks go to those doing the testing (Andreas Nagy and Daniel Engel) and Ji=
m White
for submitting the PR that somehow got fixed in a matter of days, rick