Date:      Sat, 24 Dec 2011 16:08:52 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        Doug Barton <dougb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Maxim Ignatenko <gelraen.ua@gmail.com>, freebsd-rc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: conf/163508: [rc.subr] [patch] Add &quot; enable&quot; and &quot; disable&quot; commands to rc.subr

On Dec 24, 2011, at 2:50 PM, Doug Barton wrote:

> On 12/24/2011 08:46, Warner Losh wrote:
>> Also, let's not reject  it before it is done.  Let's reject it when =
it actually doesn't handle the cases that are interesting.  No sense in =
cutting off a good feature because of some theoretical problem.  It is a =
problem we have sometimes in the project...=20
>=20
> Warner,
>=20
> You seemed to have missed the bit where I said, "We've already been =
down
> this path once before, and it turns out to be way harder to do this
> right than it looks at first glance."

No, I get that totally.  I just don't care.  The fact that others have =
failed shouldn't mean we should discourage others from trying.  We =
shouldn't be shooting arrows at people before they are given a chance to =
produce something good or bad, or when they do shooting them without =
evaluating their work.

> Just as an example of potential problems, imagine a scenario where the
> user has foo_enable=3DNO in rc.conf, but the service keeps starting up
> anyway.

Most people call that a bug, or at least POLA.  The few cases in the =
tree where bar_enable=3Dyes forces foo_enable=3Dyes can be dealt with.

> For better or worse rc.d offers a lot of flexibility in how services =
are
> enabled. We've already heard from users who use those various
> mechanisms, and don't want them removed/broken. Absent an overhaul of
> the underlying structure of configuration files (which would violate =
one
> or both of remove/break existing functionality) there is no way to add
> this feature in a thorough manner. Adding it in a less-than-thorough
> manner will cause more problems than it solves.

We should encourage others solving the problem completely.

> Which returns me to my original point, how hard is it to edit rc.conf
> anyway?

Scripts would greatly benefit from having a robust way to do things =
without humans in the loop.  Some folks also would find it easier.

Basically, we shouldn't get in the way here by telling people it can't =
be done.  Then we get nothing.

Telling people to try is better.  Worst thing that happens is that this =
effort fails.  Best outcome is that they fix the issues to make it =
robust.

Warner