Date:      Tue, 29 Jul 2003 22:23:43 +0300
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Floppies for ALPHA

--l76fUT7nc3MelDdI

On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 07:38:48PM +0200, Wilko Bulte wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 12:54:36PM +0300, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
[...]
> > I've got that feeling that the consensus was to drop the floppy
> > support for Alpha, as supporting it becomes a nightmare.  If so,
>=20
> Yes, that consensus seems to be there. Finally.. :)
>=20
> The question is if the way forward is a minimini.iso so a really
> minimal ISO image (<< in size that miniinst.iso) or some other mechanism
> like NetBSD or ancient SunOS 3.x used. Which, IIRC, was an image one drop=
ped
> in to the swap area of a disk and booted from.=20
>=20
A similar technique could be used on sparc64, as was explained
by Jake.  That's the whole reason why boot.flp is still created
on sparc64.

> I'm getting comments that miniinst.iso is too big. Which I buy.
>=20
Sure.

> I also get comments that only ISOs aka mandatory CDboot is not
> acceptable.
>=20
Sure.  We need to provide the loss of functionality.  Please see
my other reply to an earlier message in this same thread, which
has more appropriate context for this.

> Other than that I think the patch does what you intend it to do.
>=20
Thanks, it sure does.  :-)
But does that also mean that you'd feel comfortable if I committed
it now?

Cheers,
--=20
Ruslan Ermilov		Sysadmin and DBA,