Date:      Mon, 21 Sep 1998 09:33:55 +0100
From:      Roger Hardiman <roger@cs.strath.ac.uk>
To:        Faisal M Chaudhry <faisalc@cs.tamu.edu>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: help with Bt848 driver

Faisal M Chaudhry wrote:

> I am actually trying to determine whether it would be
> better for me to install Hauppage's Wincast/TV on a linux system or
> on FreeBSD.

I've do alot of work on the FreeBSD driver so I would be biased to
FreeBSD :-)

I've taken a look at the Linux driver too. My opinion is this

FreeBSD driver: Good Capture (for vic) and DMA transfer modes
for TV viewing. Can watch TV even without the DMA transfer mode for
older video cards. Well supported by vic.
Can read the Config details from the Hauppauge EEPROMs for automatic
card (and tuner type) configuration).
Not yet finished the MSP34xx driver.

Linux BTTV driver. Started life as a DMA transfer mode driver (for
TV viewing) and added some video capture support later.
Not sure on the vic status.
However it does support NICAM MSP34xx stereo decoder chips
which I have not finished implementeing in the FreeBSD driver.

Brad Parker ported the FreeBSD driver to Linux about a year
ago because for use with vic. I presume that was before
the linux bttv driver had its video capture support.

Bye
Roger Hardiman
Stratghclyde Uni Telepresence Group