Date:      Mon, 3 Aug 1998 21:34:52 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Leif Neland <leifn@internet.dk>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   route problems

We have two livingston's which gives the dialins ip's in one net
(194.255.12.x) while the rest of the net and servers are in another net
(194.19.140.x). The we have a cisco for our uplink, which we can't
control.

How can the cisco know which livingston to route to to get to a dialin?

What if we get more livingston's, and somebody with a fixed ip could get
either one or the other livingston?

Also, perhaps related, sometimes when I dial in, I can ping our servers,
but a traceroute stops at the cisco to the uplink. But if I log in to a
server, I can reach the rest of the world.

Is it because the cisco sometimes doesn't know the route to the dialin?

Leif Neland
leifn@internet.dk