Date:      Fri, 18 Apr 1997 12:39:46 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        jbryant@tfs.net
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: optical drives

Jim Bryant stands accused of saying:

> btw: take note of the 128M disktab i put in my last posting on this
> topic...  it might go nicely in the /etc/disktab next to mo230 for the
> dist...  i had to buy a 128M disk once when the store was out of 230s,
> and added that one to disktab recently...  it seems to work, as i
> moved my IEN/RFC collection to it to free up space on a 230M...

Putting disktab entries in for most disks is pointless; the 'auto' type
will work unless the driver can't get the disk's size right.

> has anyone done a side by side comparison of SyJet [1.5G] and Jazz
> [1G] using bonnie or iozone using ahc?  given that they are the same
> price here [$399 internal, $120-129/cart], i'm leaning towards the
> SyJet...  i've also heard that the flap/door thing on the Jazz
> internal model is really flimsy too, plus the SyJet claims faster
> real-life sustained throughput ["up to 7 M/S", that's as good as or
> better than my 2G scsi-2 barracuda]...

I haven't busted the door on my Jazz yet, and it gets quite a lot of
use.  OTOH, I've had one cart die on me (media error) and another grow
at least one defect (I'm not sure if it's successfully mapped it,
although it claims to do ARRE and AWRE).

I haven't had a chance to play with a SyJet yet, but I would suspect
that their 7M/sec "sustained" is SCSI throughput, not media
throughput.