Date:      Sat, 06 Mar 2010 07:02:20 -0600
From:      Martin McCormick <martin@dc.cis.okstate.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Booting MFS from Secondary Partition

Fbsd1 writes:
> just dd the image to what ever drive you want

	That is the goal. The challenge is to launch a script
that detects when the boot device has been unmounted as dd will
not work on an active file system.

	Memory disk images apparently survive until reboot so
there is a possibility that one can get in the write between the
umount of everything and complete shutdown.

	I am truly impressed with how robust FreeBSD is as it
probably should be very hard to log in to a working system and
remotely rebuild it. I did read one of many introductory
articles about mfsbsd that tells you to just use scp to get the
image over to the target system and then, as root, use dd to
apply it to the boot device. That is not possible unless one
first boots from some other medium.

Martin McCormick