Date:      Tue, 09 Jan 1996 10:55:11 +0100
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@vector.jhs.local>
To:        uhclem%nemesis@fw.ast.com (Frank Durda IV)
Cc:        current@freebsd.org, gene@starkhome.cs.sunysb.edu
Subject:   Re: conf.c and USL copyright at top

Hi, Reference:
> From: uhclem%nemesis@fw.ast.com (Frank Durda IV)
> Date: Thu, 21 Dec 95 16:45 WET
>
> Then they filed new copyrights that were accepted
> (there aren't any checks worth mentioning on infringing copyrights).

Huh ?
I was taught (in England in ~'79) one didnt `file' a copyright but merely
assert claim by placing at a minimum `Copyright Fred Smith 1996'
on all copies.

& the `checks' you mention ?   only ones I can think of are lawyers of
infringed sueing parties, not some neutral bureaucrat check mechanism.

Are you sure you'r not confusing Copyrights with Patents or Trademarks
or something else. ( One can file applications for Patents
(& wait for grant or refusal), similar with trademarks I believe).

> Circular queues and ring buffers were patented
> in 1982!  I guess nobody every used them before then - just ignore those
> samples in Knuth that date back into the 70s.

More likely the patent examiner had an off day, or was feeling lazy & passed
the application too easily (*).
	<Diatribe On>
	(*)  I don't know the USA system, but the system in the European Patent
	Office is biased towards granting rather than refusing applications;
	there's a points system, each examiner has to get so
	many per year, though they get extra fractional points for appeals
	hearings or some such, they get a whole easy point for a quick grant.
	Most patents I hear of seem Not to be in the public interest, but
	expect no changes, European goverments cream the profits from the
	EPO, & Euro. & USA patents get used to screw the worlds' citizenry,
	repress the growth of new small companies, & of course are looked
	on favourably by politicians with a penchant for trade disputes.
	References to shame the western world's patent offices with include:
		- Neem Tree (Ref Newsweek, late '95, USA PO)
		- White Mouse Gene (Ref Munich EPO 11or12/95)
		- Wheat Seed & Africa's Poor (BBC World Service, ~ 2 months ago)
	<Diatribe Off>
I know numerous patent examiners, attorneys & secretaries, & understand
just how easily the patent you mention, might have been granted.

Julian
--
Julian H. Stacey	jhs@freebsd.org  	http://www.freebsd.org/~jhs/