Date:      Tue, 12 Sep 1995 13:35:20 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        shamrock@netcom.com (Lucky Green)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Creating FreeBSD driver. How?

> I got some National Semi's Hydra isoEthernet cards. Since I got more cards
> than normal PCs, I have been thinking about sticking one into my FreeBSD
> box. Of course I'd need a driver to get the iso part working. I got the iso
> drivers for DOS that came with the card. The normal ethernet part of the
> card can be standard NE2000. Of course if you use an NE2000 driver you are
> missing out on the iso part. How do I go about creating a driver for
> FreeBSD that will give full functionallity? Are there any faqs or other
> tips? I searched the FreeBSD web site without avail.

Is there a Novell Server (not Client!) ODI driver for the thing?

The ODI driver stuff may be easy to hack, depending on the driver
architecture.  Specifically, if it uses polling or a not-busy interrupt,
then you are probably SOL and will need to write the driver from scratch.

ISO by itself is meaningless (means International Standards Organization)
as far as telling us what the card capabilities are.  It's probably just
a manufacturer name.

Since you say you've never done a driver before, you'll probably not have
sufficient information to do the ODI hack, which means it probably won't
get done.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---