Date:      Tue, 21 Apr 1998 19:35:42 +1000
From:      Stephen McKay <syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au>
To:        "Evan Champion" <evanc@synapse.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au
Subject:   Re: make buildworld over NFS

On Tuesday, 21st April 1998, "Evan Champion" wrote:

>It looks like the problems I have been having with make buildworld (mkdep
>making garbage .depend files) were fixed by mounting /usr/src and /usr/obj
>with nfsv2 instead of v3.  The only problem is that now
>/usr/obj/usr/src/lib/libc gets full of .nfs* files, which causes make
>buildworld to fail because the directory isn't empty...
>
>I can't be the only person who is doing this...  I'm mounting with
>rw,soft,bg,intr and now nfsv2 as well.  Is anyone else able to get make
>buildworld to do "wierd stuff" when building over NFS (in my case, client
>and server both 2.2.6-STABLE from April 4).

Interesting.  I posted a message today about .depend corruption in -current.
(Both machines involved run -current.)  NFS may have been broken for ages.
Check -current for a full description of how my setup fails.

BTW, I use hard mounts, not soft.  It's a bad idea to use soft except with
read-only mounts.

Stephen.