Date:      Mon, 28 Jul 1997 16:32:04 +0100 (BST)
From:      Stephen Roome <steve@visint.co.uk>
To:        The Classiest Man Alive <ksmm@cybercom.net>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FTC regulating use of registrations

On Mon, 28 Jul 1997, The Classiest Man Alive wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Jul 1997, Stephen Roome wrote:
>
>  : LA/Harlem (and there's other places around the world just as bad) are
>  : where people have adjusted and live the same tribal lifestyle that humans
>  : have lived for thousands of years. I expect in comparison that actually a
>  : far sight more civilized than say ancient rome or greece. Or even Saudi
>  : Arabia today.
>
> What in the world is the comparison between Los Angeles, Harlem, and Saudi
> Arabia?
>
>  : because you told a stole a piece of bread. You might get shot, but only if
>  : you stole it from the wrong person.
>
> Where in the world is this *not* true?
>
>  : Is it really a failure then, or just somewhere that hasn't progressed as
>  : fast as the cosy cotton-wool environments most of the rest of us live in?
>
> And by who's rule are we measuring this "progress?"

Well, exactly I think that's all I mean though, but probably in a
different light. LA/harlem/Northern Ireland may seem bad by our current
standards. They may even seem very bad. But as I was saying, ancient rome
was apparently a civilised society, being a christian could mean you get
thrown to the lions. The argument that these places are some new failure
of society to treat some degenerate element is inane. These places just
haven't matured at the same rate as everywhere else.

Genghis Khan, Vlad the Impaler, Pope whoever of the Catholic Church at
the time of the crucades.. These people and their followers were far worse
and far more barbaric than some of the worst places on the planet now.
Society isn't moving backwards, there are just areas which aren't
progressing as fast.

In other words, Harlem and LA may be bad, but I'd rather live in either of
those two now than anywhere in the 15th Century.. especially as a serf,
getting killed by unfair means then was probably the expected way to die!

--
Steve Roome - Vision Interactive Ltd.
Tel:+44(0)117 9730597 Home:+44(0)976 241342