Date:      Fri, 22 Dec 2000 21:34:37 +0100
From:      "Klaus Berbach" <K_Berbach@gmx.de>
To:        "freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   HD Booting Problems

Hi,

it=B4s me again. This time it isn=B4t the CD, it=B4s the
Harddisk. After a (well several) reinstall(s) of
FreeBSD 4.2 I don=B4t manage to make it bootable anymore
from HD. It somehow can=B4t open /boot/loader, though it
is installed (checked on VT4 before exiting the
install) and it has read an execute rights. For several
reasons I had a short break with Linux on that HD (yes,
I know, but finally I pay for it now ;).
What was a bit strange (was it ?) that FreeBSD refused
to boot from CD when I didn=B4t clear the HD before
(going nowhere wihtout my init. Rebooting in 15
seconds). This happened during the probing of devices
(as soon as the red screen appears). After that I
deleted the HD with Linux fdisk and set up new
partitions during the FreeBSD install. So I am
wondering if the boot failure has something to do with
this. I am running an Alphastation500 (SCSI Hardisk)

In case it matters, my table:

/swap (256M)
/tmp (128M)
/	(1000M)
/usr (5000M)
/var  (3000M)

The full message:

>>>boot dka0
(boot dka0.0.0.9.0 -flags A)
block 0 of dka0.0.0.9.0 is a valid boot block
reading 15 blocks from dka0.0.0.9.0
bpptstrap code read in
base =3D 14a000, image_start =3D 0, image_bytes =3D 1e00
initializing HWRPB at 2000
initializnig page table at 13c000
initilaizing machine state
setting affinity to primary CPU