Date:      Thu, 20 Jun 1996 11:45:36 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Guy Helmer <ghelmer@alpha.dsu.edu>
To:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Mistake in handbook

In http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/handbook167.html, there is a section
which reads:

 However, FreeBSD's default kernels do not come configured to forward
packets (ie, your FreeBSD machine will not act as a router) due to
Internet RFC requirements for Internet hosts (see RFC's 1009
[Requirements for Internet Gateways], 1122 [Requirements for Internet
Hosts -- Communication Layers], and perhaps 1127 [A Perspective on the
Host Requirements RFCs]), so if you want your FreeBSD SLIP Server to
act as a router, you will have to add the line

 sysctl -w net.inet.ip.forwarding = 0

 to your rc.local file.

It seems that the "sysctl -w net.inet.ip.forwarding = 0" line should be
corrected to read "sysctl -w net.inet.ip.forwarding = 1", since 0 is the
default.  I appreciate the effort someone made to update this document,
but since my name is still given as the author, I would greatly appreciate
it if this were fixed!

Thanks,
Guy

Guy Helmer, Dakota State University Computing Services - ghelmer@alpha.dsu.edu