Date:      Sat, 16 Dec 2000 19:03:49 -0600 (CST)
From:      James Wyatt <jwyatt@rwsystems.net>
To:        James <j@evilcode.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: newsgroup server recommendation

On Sat, 16 Dec 2000, James wrote:
> I'm about to be setting up an NNTP server, and I need to
> decide what software to use for this.  I was wondering
> if I could get some people's opinions/experiences with
> the various servers available in the ports collection.

You need to consider which groups you'll have and how long you'll retain
them. Then consider how large your input and output feeds are, pick a news
transport package, and size the machine for it. If you want binaries,
consider buying a news service. If you want lots of groups, consider using
one of the satellite feeds or many peers.

I've usually used inn and there's a port and package. There may be better
things for huge feeds or light weight, but inn is well known and has
plenty of features. Last time we needed to build a largish (for then)
server, we used a PPro 200, a pair of what has become the TekRam DC-390F
UWSCSI adapters, six or so 4.5-9GB Viking II drives, and CCD to combine
disks to span disks for the news filesystems. We also used async fileio
for news filesystems and a very stable FreeBSD kernel. Worked well
saturating most of a pair of T1s. 8{(

News servers can get huge as the usenet feeds are huge nowaways. It's a
long way from when I carried an almost full feed via a shared 2400b modem
on a Tandy 6000 running BNews.

Hope this helps - Jy@