Date:      Thu, 16 Sep 1999 15:17:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Brian Scott <brian.scott@soulphusionrecords.com>
Subject:   Re: dig @a.root-servers.net.. status: NXDOMAIN ??

On Thu, 16 Sep 1999, Brian Scott wrote:

> [root@noc:~]# dig @a.root-servers.net ANY sgba.com
>
> ; <<>> DiG 8.1 <<>> @a.root-servers.net ANY sgba.com
> ; (1 server found)
> ;; res options: init recurs defnam dnsrch
> ;; got answer:
> ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NXDOMAIN, id: 10
>
> on the above line where is says "status: NXDOMAIN" it
> should read "status: NOERROR"

	Why do you think it should say that? NXDOMAIN can be translated
roughly as, "You asked me for a record in a zone you think I should
be authoritative for, but I'm not, and I can't find anyone who is for you
to ask instead." NOERROR means, "You asked me for a record in a zone you
think I should be authoritative for, and I am authoritative for it, but
the record you want doesn't exist."

	So, clearly NXDOMAIN is the right answer, since there are no
records for your domain there. It might also help you to know that the
only worthwhile query for a root/TLD nameserver is NS, since those are
the only records it's going to have about delegated domains.

	I will spare you yet another, "So pay your bill already" message
since it seems you have. :)

Good luck,

Doug
--
"My mama told me, my mama said, 'don't cry.' She said, 'you're too young a man
to have as many women you got.' I looked at my mother dear and didn't even

    - John Belushi as "Joliet" Jake Blues, "I Don't Know"