Date:      Thu, 24 Jul 1997 16:18:35 +0200
From:      Gilles Bruno <Gilles.Bruno@ujf-grenoble.fr>
To:        Michael Beckmann <beckmann@nacamar.net>, hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMC Etherpower II issues

At 15:45 24/07/97 +0200, Michael Beckmann wrote:
|I was told, but have not been able to verify, that new PCI Ethernet cards
|from SMC
|"SMC EtherPower II 10/100"
|are no longer equipped with "Digital 21140" chips, but rather with EPIC/100
|83c170 chips.
|
|This has some implications on the usability with FreeBSD, I guess.
|
|Michael

Sure,
it look a closer look at both (epic and 21140) chipset programming manual :
they're
definitively differ... I hoped the 'epic' was an oem'ed version of either
the 2114{2,3}
or the 21340 chipset, according to their docs : nada :(
.. our primary concern is that it becomes more and more difficult to have
the old
smc9332bdt ones....