Date:      Wed, 4 Dec 2002 05:23:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      RexFelis <catlord17@yahoo.com>
To:        advocacy@freeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: A FreeBSD User Reviews Mandrake. Let the flames flow.

Your "review" comes across sounding at best
biased.   You yourself made no effort to
configure the system to fit your needs, even
though the entire configuration (shy of FLASH and
crap like that) could have been done during the
install.

As I use both Mandrake and FreeBSD, I agree with
your conclusion that FBSD is a better OS, but you
seem to simply want a flame fest.

Why not simply forego Linux and use FBSD on the
laptop to start with?  It's not like 4.x is going
to be useless after 5.x comes out, and it's not
like you can't upgrade later.

Shannon

--- Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>

http://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net/ftp/doc/PCMCIA-HOWTO.html

> The relevant part reads:
>
> 	Include 32-bit (CardBus) card support?
>
> 	This option must be selected if you wish to
> use 32-bit CardBus
> 	cards. It is not required for CardBus bridge
> support, if you
> 	only plan to use 16-bit PC Cards.
>
> Sorry, but not looking at the existing
> documentation is not a very
> good excuse for complaining in a "this sucks"
> manner.
>
> > No mention of this setting having to do
> anything was mention on the
> > web. (And google is the web as far as I'm
> concerned).
>
> Google is not ``the web'' but, putting this
> aside, you shouldn't have
> started on the web; the documentation of your
> distribution is a better
> place to look for hints about problems.  The
> HOWTOs and mini-HOWTOs of
> Linux are installed as part of the system
> install by most of the Linux
> distributions I know of.  These documents are
> an invaluable resource
> of information both for Linux users and users
> of other UNIX-like
> operating systems.  Do not *ever* underestimate
> the number of mistakes
> that you can avoid by reading the documentation
> of your system :-)
>
> > Right, anyhow, once I got the network card
> fired up, it didn't do
> > anything. Didn't try to get a dhcp lease or
> anything.
>
> Why should it?  You hadn't configured it to do
> so.
>
> > I tried listeing to mp3's over thenetwork
> with xmms over an smb
> > mounted share, and it crawled. Sound drop
> outs everytime I tried to
> > do anything, like copying files from cd or
> network.
>
> You have a laptop system that is twice as fast
> as my old Pentium 133
> machine.  I could play mp3 audio on *that*
> machine, and have a kernel
> compile running in the background even in the
> days of Linux-1.2.13.

=== message truncated ===