Date:      Mon, 13 Oct 1997 01:53:56 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        hoek@hwcn.org (Tim Vanderhoek)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, hoek@hwcn.org, jkh@time.cdrom.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fnord0: disabled, not probed.

> > I think "Little Johnny" will be more interested in a login prompt than
> > if his probe messages say "disabled" or whatever...
>
> Great!  So we agree then that it is more important to show Johnny
> messages which will impair his ability to login than to show him
> (relatively) meaningless "disabled" messages.  :)

If he's going to ignore "disbled" messages in favor of "login",
then all he cares about is "login:".  That means he can get any
number of messsages prior to "login:", and it won't matter.  This
argues *for* "disabled" messages (they will be ingnored anyway).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.