Date:      Sun, 23 Nov 2003 12:47:47 -0800 (PST)
From:      Frank Mayhar <frank@exit.com>
To:        =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Dag-Erling_Sm=F8rgrav?= <des@des.no>
Cc:        Soren Schmidt <sos@spider.deepcore.dk>
Subject:   Re: printing problems lpr/lpd misbehavior ?

Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
> Andreas Klemm <andreas@freebsd.org> writes:
> > q: What makes cups so special that one should try it out ?
> > What can it do better than apsfilter which IMHO isn't as bloated
> > as cups and has better features...
> apsfilter is in my experience a lot more difficult and confusing to
> configure, and I don't think I ever figured out how to do things like
> switch duplex on / off etc.  CUPS has a web-based configuration
> interface which is very simple to use.

It's also pretty cool that you configure the printers on their various
systems and every other system running cups picks them up automatically.
I discovered this after I had configured cups on my print system and then
installed it on my laptop.  All I had to do was a portinstall and start
the daemon and it just worked.  I _like_ that.
--
Frank Mayhar frank@exit.com	http://www.exit.com/
Exit Consulting                 http://www.gpsclock.com/