Date:      Sun, 16 Apr 2000 16:32:30 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   since this csh issue seems to be such a hot potato...

What I propose is that we simply decide to finish the process and move
on:

1. Fix the tcsh build so that it creates a symlink to /bin/csh

2. Remove the csh sources from -current.  They are now redundant.

Then root's shell is tcsh and at least a non-zero number of people are
happy.

I also don't think that this will "confuse new users" since tcsh is a
superset of csh and said new users can still follow their nutshell
guides on using csh to write non-portable shell scripts or use their
history substitution commands.  I've never seen anything in tcsh which
prevented that and even though I don't personally use tcsh anymore
(I'm an evil bash user), I think it's high time we just moved on.

Raising the issue of /bin/sh vs bash was, of course in retrospect, a
bad mistake on my and other people's parts and we should have known
better than to widen a war rather than attempting to settle it.  We
were stupid, our bad.  Let's now just stick for now to settling the
[t]csh issue and, if necessary, referring it to our principal
architect for a binding decision.

- Jordan