Date:      Thu, 26 Dec 2002 16:31:50 +1300 (NZDT)
From:      Andrew McNaughton <andrew@scoop.co.nz>
To:        "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
Cc:        "Brandon S. Allbery  KF8NH" <allbery@ece.cmu.edu>, <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Mergemaster editor problem

On Wed, 25 Dec 2002, Philip J. Koenig wrote:

> On 25 Dec 2002 at 22:01, Brandon S. Allbery boldly uttered:
>
> > On Wed, 2002-12-25 at 21:33, Philip J. Koenig wrote:
> > >     "%ex/vi: Vi's standard input and output must be a terminal
> > (...)
> > >     mergemaster -v -C -w 132 2>&1 |tee -a <logfile>
> >
> > So vi's standard output wasn't a terminal (it was the pipe to tee).
> > Sounds like "working as designed" to me.
>

> OK, I see your point - does the same thing if I use vi by itself
> piped to tee.
>
> So any suggestion on how to make this work without giving up the log
> of the general Mergemaster process? (all too often stuff scrolls by
> that I have to deal with later so the log is important to me)
>
> I know about the "script" command but according to the manpage:
>
>     "Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the
>     typescript file.  The script utility works best with commands that
>     do not manipulate the screen."
>

> (Actually I don't mind garbage in the output logfile, as long as it
> doesn't corrupt the rest of the file.  I can just ignore or remove
> that section.)

Right.  The garbage is going to be much the same regardless of whether
it's script or tee that records it, it's just that script does a better
job of looking like a terminal.  Actually, the garbage is terminal escape
codes for moving the cursor around, clearing the screen, and such like.
Presumably (ie I haven't done this) if you pipe the log file through some
sort of slow pipe and then to your terminal, it should recreate the
original display sequence fairly well.