Date:      Sun, 6 Apr 1997 16:57:13 +0800 (WST)
From:      Adrian Chadd <adrian@obiwan.aceonline.com.au>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Better late than never...  The FreeBSD News!

On Sun, 6 Apr 1997, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> 	From my work on the PostgreSQL stuff, porting and developing for
> the various Unix OSs out there, all I can say is that Linux is the *worst*
> thing we have to deal with...*mainly* because of the poor distribution
> mechanism that they have.

Yep, agreed.

> 	One distribution will have option A, that is required, while
> the other distribution won't have it, so that an installer has to go
> out and find, grab and install it manually (libdl.a, should be standard,
> no?)

Again, agreed.

> 	Sorry, but as far as I'm concerned, FreeBSD kicks butt in the fact
> that everything *is* centralized...we *know* that the only thing we have
> to compensate for is variations in versions, and even then, I haven't had
> any problems running 3.0 binaries on 2.2 machines, so even variations in
> versions haven't hampered us much.

Yet again, agreed. :)

I was using Linux for a year until a nice person sent me a copy of
2.1.0-REL and I installed it. :) Best move I think I've made so far.
Having a FreeBSD distribution is one of the reasons I like FreeBSD so much
over Linux.

You have to remember that there isn't a "Linux" distribution as such, and
that point IMHO is one of the big downfalls of Linux. When people talk
about Linux, they should remember they are talking about a kernel, not an
operating system.

--
Adrian Chadd			| UNIX, MS-DOS and Windows ...
<adrian@psinet.net.au>		| (also known as the Good, the bad and the