Date:      Sun, 18 Dec 1994 19:27:54 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <FreeBSD-Questions@freefall.cdrom.com>
Subject:   vi question

I wanted to browse a text file I got from Seagate about a new disk of mine.
The file had a bunch of non-printable chars in it.  Usually, I go into
vi, and using the ^V control char prefix, I edit out all the control
characters that make things hard to read.  This time, the characters
involved must be part of the IBM graphics character set, and instead of
getting stuff like "^T" (or somesuch) I found single characters, in vi,
being represented as "0xc4", and that is (in fact) one of the chars I found.

Does anyone happen to know if there's a way, inside vi, to represent a
character such as "0xc4" as a single char, so I can use it in a
substitution?

Alternatively, does anyone know how I could display the file with the
character set that would be appropriate to the file, so I could see the
snazzy graphics stuff?  Or maybe print it?  I've a postscript printer...

7608 Topton St.             |
New Carrollton, MD 20784    | I run Journey2 (Esix SVR4) and n3lxx (FreeBSD)
(301) 459-2316              |