Date:      Mon, 20 Mar 2000 16:34:16 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        chad@DCFinc.com
Cc:        Ctdm1@brisbane.qld.gov.au (David Elkin), freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: M-systems DiskOnChip

In message <200003202322.QAA13417@freeway.dcfinc.com> "Chad R. Larson" writes:
: Funny, we're trying to do the same thing.  We have a 3.4-RELEASE
: system that can talk to the DiskOnChip, but can't get a kernel to
: boot up from it.

We've shipped systems that boot from these based on 3.4-stable.

: The device driver on the development system works.  We can mount the
: DiskOnChip (as /dev/fla0s4a -- we fdisk'd and disklabel'd it).  We
: can get a kernel installed on the DiskOnChip, and get the BIOS to load
: that kernel into memory.  But we can't figure out what magic incantation
: it takes to get the kernel to know where its root filesystem is.

You need newer boot blocks than are in 3.4.  I made change to allow
them to pass the kernel's boot partition.  You also need to label the
device as a DOC2K (hmmm, come to think of it, this may be in 3.4)
however, since the boot blocks guess what the root device is based on
what the label says.

: I'll bet this is easy for someone who's done it.  And not to hard for
: someone who knows his way completely around the 3.4 boot mechanisms.

Let me know if this helps.  We've made about a dozen systems in our
embedded product.  We have found that DOC parts tend to "wear out"
much much faster than the compact flash cards that you find in
cameras.  Either that, or they have a might higher failure rate.
We'll likely move to CF in future versions of the product.

Warner