Date:      Thu, 12 Aug 1999 11:39:02 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jay Kuri <jay@oneway.com>
To:        Noyan Kinayman <kinayman@macom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on Dell Inspiron

Hello,

I have FreeBSD running on the Dell Inspiron I7k 15" display.

It was an adventure, but it works fine.

The ethernet card they send you does not work with FreeBSD.  You will need
to do a CDRom install, or get another pcmcia ethernet card that will work.

If you choose to do a CD install, you will have to eject the CD right
after you leave the kernel configuration screen.  (For some reason, the
install kernel has problems with the cd drive when booting)  Once you see
the blue install screen, you can put the CD back in and it will work fine.

The current X server does not support the ATI Rage Mobility-P that the
Dell Inspiron 7000 uses.  But I have hacked up the X11R6.4 Mach64 server
for use with this card.  It seems to work fine.  You can get the hacked-up
binary at:

http://oneway.com/jay/stuff/XF86_Mach64_FreeBSD-3.2.gz

Or I can forward the patch, if you prefer. The patch will also install
onto a X11R6.3 source tree.

Good Luck,  I love mine.

Jay