Date:      Wed, 7 Oct 1998 13:38:04 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>, doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dos and Don'ts

On Wednesday,  7 October 1998 at  5:39:16 +0200, Eivind Eklund wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 07, 1998 at 12:31:22PM +0930, Greg Lehey wrote:

>>> Because it often lead to a large amount of pain (in setup), especially
>>> when somebody get the idea that they want to use NAT.  In the cases
>>> where there are problems with iij-ppp, my impression is it usually get
>>> fixed pretty quickly (personally, I've never had a problem except when
>>> I've been hacking the code myself, so I can't give more than a
>>> second-hand impression).
>>
>> OK.  I had to go through installing both in painful detail for my
>> book.  Everybody has always said "don't use Kernel PPP, it's painful",
>> but I didn't find it so.  In fact, the difficulty of installation is
>> about equal.  What *is* deficient is the documentation.
>
> ... and the lack of a term mode.  When I set up ppp, I found this very
> convenient, as I could trivially test that PPP worked in itself before
> I had to make sure chat scripts etc worked.

Well, yes, that's nice, though I found it rather complicated to use.

> [... sad story involving iij-ppp removed ...]
>> I moved (quickly and painlessly) to kernel PPP, and since it works,
>> I've been using it ever since.  Note also that most PPP problems
>> reported to -questions are for user PPP, not kernel PPP.  This is
>> almost certainly because most people try user PPP, but it does
>> suggest that this rule is unnecessary.
>
> The most severe problem is the introduction of NAT, which it seems a
> large amount of people are doing.  I regularly see people struggle
> with setting up natd (due to lacking network understanding, mostly),
> and people that have pppd running try to set up natd instead of
> switching to iij-ppp.  This is a shame, both because setting up natd
> is a pain, and because natd will NAT wrongly for any packets coming
> before with dynamic IPs are assigned (and this is non-fixable).

Hmm.  I set up natd for the book as well, and I didn't have much
trouble.  At the time, I think it was the only game in town.  I
haven't been watching what Brian's put into userland PPP, but I'm sure
that we could find some reason to still want to use natd (for example,
its symbiosis with ipfw).  I still think that there's not enough pain
in kernel PPP to warn against using it.

> However, I'll remove the statement if you accept that I give your
> phone-number to anybody that come asking me how to fix their problems
> with setting up natd to run with their already setup pppd (this is not
> more than two or three people each day so far) ;-)

How come so many ask you?  I haven't seen any worth talking about.
Anyway, sure.  Also point them at
http://www.cdrom.com/titles/os/bsdbook2.htm :-)

> Seriously: I see a _lot_ of users drop by #freebsd and asking for help
> with this, which is why I included it.  It was the one thing "This
> _really_ don't work" which led to me starting the Do/Don't list.

Bounce me some of these messages, if that work in IRC.

>>> DON'T send questions about anything (beyond the exceptions noted
>>> 	above) to any mailing list you have not read at least two days
>>> 	of traffic from.  Yes, this implies you should be or have been
>>> 	a member.
>>
>> I suppose so.  We have a policy that non-members can post to
>> -questions; how would you factor that in ("you're allowed to, but it's
>> better not to").
>
> The present text is
>
> DON'T send mail to any of the FreeBSD mailing lists not listed above
> 	(plus freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org) before you have read the

s/plus/including/

> 	mailing list you're thinking of mailing for at least a couple
> 	of days.  Which types of mail that is OK for which list varies
> 	a lot, and it take a little while to pick up the 'culture'
> 	(even when you've read the charters).

Yes, I suppose so.  How about adding "the charters of some lists allow
you to send messages without being subscribed, but this doesn't make
it a good idea".

Greg