Date:      Sun, 05 Oct 2008 00:32:05 +0300
From:      Manolis Kiagias <sonic2000gr@gmail.com>
To:        Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>
Cc:        knowtree@aloha.com, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing from USB drive

Dan Langille wrote:

>> If your BIOS can boot from a USB CD-ROM, you will be able to install
>> FreeBSD with no problems.
>
> Should.
>
> I've been able to boot from the USB CD-ROM but failed to install:
>
> http://www.freebsddiary.org/thinkpad-x61s.php
>
> FreeBSD 6.x and 7.x both failed.  Eventually I succeeded with a
> docking station that contained a CD-ROM drive.

I must have been lucky. All my recent laptops can boot / install FreeBSD
from USB CD-ROM.  I only need this on the eeePC however. I also have a
desktop without an internal CD and regularly use the USB CD to install.
I have not been so lucky with USB hard disks though. They will not boot
on anything but my most recent machines.